Stop Eviction in Colorado – How Chapter 13 can Help

How to Stop an Eviction in Colorado

Are you trying to stop eviction in Colorado? If your landlord is threatening to evict you, have faith. The state of Colorado gives you legal options to help you postpone or prevent an eviction.

Understanding the Eviction Notice

If you haven’t been paying your rent or if you’ve violated terms of your lease, your landlord has the right to begin evict you.

The law requires your landlord to give you written notice explaining the reason for the eviction and a time frame to comply with the notice. There are three different types of eviction notices allowed in Colorado:

  1. Three-day notice to cure or quit. If you You haven’t paid your rent or have violated the terms of your lease, you will be given three days to correct the problem. You must remedy any violation and/or pay past rent due, or move out of the unit.
  2. Three-day notice to quit. If you’ve committed a serious act such as domestic violence or illegal drug activity in your rental unit, you may be served with three-day notice to quit. This notice requires you to move out of the unit within three days.
  3. Seven-day notice to quit. If you have a month-to-month lease agreement and your landlord wants to end the agreement, you will receive a seven-day notice to quit. This type of notice requires you to vacate the unit within seven days.

Click here to learn how to count notice days.

If you fail to meet the terms of any of these notices, you won’t be automatically evicted. However, your landlord can sue you in court. During the time it takes for your case to go before the judge, your rent is still due and you must pay it. So you must be asking yourself, how do I stop eviction in Colorado.

How Chapter 13 Can Stop Eviction in Colorado

If at all possible, you want to avoid an eviction. An eviction will hurt your credit and could cause you from finding future housing. Many landlords won’t rent to people with an eviction on their record.

There are things you can do to stop an eviction. First, talk to your landlord. An eviction costs both of you money. See if you can work out a payment plan. If your landlord agrees, get the agreement in writing and honor your end of the agreement.

If your landlord does not agree to some kind of repayment plan, then you need to try to get a “stay.” A “stay” will stop eviction proceedings while you catch up on your rent payments. To get a “stay,” you must have a judge’s signature on a Chapter 13 filing.

However, filing for bankruptcy is no guarantee of stopping an eviction. It’s important that you contact me immediately to discuss your situation, your rights and your best options.Call me today at 720-605-4347 or click here to schedule a FREE consultation. Together, we will look at your eviction notice, your debts, repayment history and your financial situation. We will discuss your options for preventing an eviction and getting back on the path to financial freedom.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *